Tuesday, July 21, 2015

How Service Builds Self-reliance (7/26/15)

 - Outline for 7/26/15 

Objective: Learn how service builds self-reliance.

PRINCIPLE 1: We are to follow Christ’s example in serving one another.

           DISCUSSION: Have someone read the following scripture.   (John 13:12-17)  "So after he had washed their feet, and had taken his garments, and was set down again, he said unto them, Know ye what I have done to you? "Ye call me Master and Lord: and ye say well; for so I am. "If I then, your Lord and Master, have washed your feet; ye also ought to wash one another's feet. "For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have done to you. "Verily, verily, I say unto you, The servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him.”If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them" What is the message of this scripture regarding service? Answers might include Any power or authority that comes to us by way of priesthood or church callings is for the purpose of serving others. Why would the Savior put such emphasis on us learning to serve others? Answers may include: Because at whatever stage of life we are in, now and throughout the eternities we will be serving others. Therefore now is the time and place to make service an integral part of our lives.  Have someone read the following statement from President Spencer W. Kimball, “Service to others deepens and sweetens this life while we are preparing to live in a better world. It is by serving that we learn to serve. When we are engaged in the service of our fellowmen, not only do our deeds assist them, but we also put our own problems in a fresher perspective. When we concern ourselves more with others, there is less time to be concerned with ourselves. In the midst of serving, there is the promise of Jesus that by losing ourselves, we find ourselves!” How does President Kimball’s statement relate to building our own self-reliance?

PRINCIPLE 2: THE LORD WILL OFTEN USE US AS HIS AGENTS IN MINISTERING TO OTHERS NEEDS.

A. DISCUSSION: How does the following story relate to self-reliance?
Matthew 25:34-40 “34 Then shall the King say unto them on his right hand, Come, ye blessed of my Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world:35 For I was an hungred, and ye gave me meat: I was thirsty, and ye gave me drink: I was a stranger, and ye took me in: 36 Naked, and ye clothed me: I was sick, and ye visited me: I was in prison, and ye came unto me. 37 Then shall the righteous answer him, saying, Lord, when saw we thee an hungred, and fed thee? or thirsty, and gave thee drink? 38 When saw we thee a stranger, and took thee in? or naked, and clothed thee?  39 Or when saw we thee sick, or in prison, and came unto thee? 40 And the King shall answer and say unto them, Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.”  In what ways do we increase in spiritual strength when we minister another’s needs?

             B. DISCUSSION: Have someone explain how the following concept works in our daily lives. God often meets others’ needs through our small acts of service.  We need to help those we seek to serve to know for themselves that God not only loves them, but he is ever mindful of them and of their needs. …  God does notice us, and he watches over us. But it is usually through another person that he meets our needs. Therefore, it is vital that we serve each other in the kingdom.

           C. DISCUSSION: Read Luke 10:30-37 about the Good Samaritan or show the “Bible Video” regarding the Good Samaritan and discuss how this story relates to self-less service and how such service builds self-reliance


PRINCIPLE 3:  There are many ways to serve others.

            DISCUSSION: Have class members list all the ways to serve others (list on board). Answers should include: (1) Visiting them when ill. (2) Helping them with household chores when needed. (3) Praying for them. (4) Providing supportive counsel when requested. (5) Staying in touch with them by phone, mail, Email, or visits. (6) Run errands for them.  (7) Help babysit their children when needed. (8) Provide transportation for them. (9) Help them mend or repair items when needed. (10) Take in meals when there is an illness.  How does rendering such services build our own self-reliance? Answers may include: (a) Maintaining a regular pattern of service increases our own spiritual reservoirs, (b) Focusing on others’ needs helps us to not be overwhelmed with our own needs. 

PRINCIPLE 4: The training ground for building self-reliance through Godly service is in our own families?

             DISCUSSION: What is our responsibility to teach our children about service?
Mosiah 4:15 King Benjamin said, "Ye will teach them to walk in the ways of truth and soberness; ye will teach them to love one another, and to serve one another.” Name some ways in which we teach these things to our children todayRelate the following story: My mother often took me along when she went visiting teaching. When we lived in Illinois, she visited Sister Gonzalez. I will never forget listening to them trying to communicate. Mother spoke no Spanish. Sister Gonzalez spoke no English. Nobody understood anybody; but they loved each other, and the Spirit was there. My mother told me over and over again that when we served Sister Gonzalez, we were really serving Heavenly Father. As I watched my mother love and serve others, both inside and outside the family, I developed that same love myself. 


No comments:

Post a Comment